Friday, April 29, 2011

Foreign Movies - Realm of the Stuck Up

Man, foreign movies, what a topic.

Really, foreign movies aren't an more original or interesting than domestic films, but the ones that manage to translate and become popular are usually the cream of the crop. This results in a skewed perception by movie critics. No films made in France aren't any better because they're made in France, they just happen to be one of the better films out of that country.

That said. There are quite a few films made outside the Anglo-Western English sphere. I've only had an opportunity to see a few. For some reason, American film goers really hate subtitles. I mean, I even heard rumbles of people complaining about Avatar which translated the Native American parallels' tongue into English. Really? Did you just want them to speak English?

Anyways, here a few foreign flicks I've had the pleasure of checking out:

Metropolis
Run Lola Run (Great for getting into foreign films)
22 Bullets
Let the Right One In
Shaolin Soccer
Kung Fu Hustle (One of my all time favorites)
Ong Bak
Hobo With a Shotgun

And quite a few more. I'm one of those self styled movie buffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment